Information for Incoming and Current Scholars
Harvard-Yenching Office Procedures Handbook
The HYI Office Procedures Handbook is a helpful resource during your stay at Harvard, containing information on Institute office procedures, visas, health insurance, social security and general information. Click here to view or download the handbook.
New Policy on Health Insurance
If you are financially supported by the Institute, we will provide you with medical insurance through University Health Services (UHS). You can only be enrolled in UHS at the beginning of the Fall and Spring semesters. If you do not arrive during these times, you must buy your own insurance and the Institute will reimburse you. There are several suitable companies recommended by the Harvard International Office. The Institute does not provide medical insurance for family members.
Incoming scholars bringing spouse and/or children: please read the memo on health insurance for families
Notes on R.S.V.P. Etiquette
"Répondez s'il vous plaît", a French phrase that translates to "reply, please." or literally "respond, if you please" . It is with this meaning that invitation cards and similar documents are often marked with "R.S.V.P." It is standard practice to reply to an RSVP request whether confirming attendance or declining.
While at the Harvard-Yenching Institute, you will often receive invitations marked with "RSVP". If this is the case, please kindly reply to the contact person listed on that invitation whether you will attend or decline. The event organizers will most appreciate your cooperation.
If you have a question about...
- Door Access to Vanserg Hall Office Area After Hours- please ask Susan.
- Keys and Office Space- please ask Elaine.
- Health Insurance- please ask Elaine.
- Reimbursement (such as your airfare)- please ask Elaine.
- Copy Machines (code, toner cartridge, paper)- please ask Elaine.
- Computers- please ask Susan.
- MBTA Pass Discount- please ask Ruohong.
- Stipend Checks- please ask Susan.
- Harvard ID Card- please ask Ruohong.
- Coffee machine and Supplies- please ask Elaine.
- Digital Projector for Meetings- please ask Elaine.
- Common Room at 2 Divinity Ave- please ask Lindsay.
- Making an appointment with Professor Perry- please ask Lindsay.
For our contact information, please refer to the staff page.