- Information Gathering
The Institute and our service providers may collect the following information from and about you:
Personal Information From You
We collect Personal Information when, for example, you register via the Website; create a profile; or make a submission via the Website.
“Other Information” is any information that is not Personal Information, such as browser information, usage data, information collected through cookies and other technologies, demographic information, and aggregated information.
Other Information You Submit
We collect Other Information when you submit it to us. It may include your gender, zip code, birthday, education, or occupation.
Other Information We Collect Automatically When You Are Online
We use your IP address to help diagnose problems with our server and to administer our Web site by identifying (1) which parts of our site are most heavily used, and (2) which portion of our audience comes from within the Harvard network. We do not link IP addresses to Personal Information. This means that user sessions will be tracked, but the users will remain anonymous.
Our staff occasionally monitors search terms that users enter into the Harvard Search Engine ( http://search.harvard.edu:8765/) but this tracking is never associated with individual users.
- Use of Information
We collect, use or otherwise process Personal Information as allowed under applicable law, including where based on one or more of the following:
- The consent you provide to us at the point of collection of your Personal Information;
- The performance of the contract we have with you;
- The compliance of a legal obligation to which we are subject; or
- The legitimate interests of the Institute, a third-party or yourself. “Legitimate interest” is a technical term under applicable regulations. It means that there are good reasons for the processing of your personal information and measures are taken to minimize the impact on your privacy rights and interests. “Legitimate interest” also references our use of your data in ways you would reasonably expect and that have a minimal privacy impact. We have a legitimate interest in collecting and processing personal information, for example: (1) to ensure that our networks and information are secure; (2) to administer and generally conduct business within the Institute; and (3) to prevent fraud.
We use the Personal Information we collect from and about you for the purposes set forth below. Please note that we may use and disclose Other Information for any purpose, except where we are required to do otherwise under applicable law. If we are required to treat Other Information as Personal Information under applicable law, then we may use and disclose it for all the purposes for which we use and disclose Personal Information. We may combine Other Information with your Personal Information, and when we do, we treat the combined information as Personal Information.
To provide and manage the Website. We use the information we collect from and about you to provide and manage the Website, including: to process and fulfill your requests for the services available via the Website, to send you information about your relationship or transactions with us, to measure and improve the Website and its features, and to provide you with user support and respond to inquiries.
- Sharing Of Information
To allow third-party service providers to assist us in providing and managing our Website. We may make your Personal Information available to certain third-party service providers who help us manage the Website. These outside service providers are required to protect Personal Information entrusted to them and not use it for any other purpose than the specific service they are providing to us.
- How To Access, Correct or Update Your Personal Information
If you would like to request to review, correct, restrict or delete personal information that you have previously provided to us, object to the processing of personal information, or if you would like to request to receive an electronic copy of your personal information for purposes of transmitting it to another company (to the extent this right to data portability is provided to you by applicable law), you may contact us, as indicated below, and we will respond to your request consistent with applicable law.
You may lodge a complaint with a data protection authority for your country or region or where an alleged infringement of applicable data protection law occurs. A list of EU data protection authorities is available at http://ec.europa.eu/newsroom/article29/item-detail.cfm?item_id=612080.
Please note that we may need to retain certain information for recordkeeping purposes and/or to complete any transactions that you began prior to requesting such change or deletion.
- Sensitive Personal Information
Unless specifically requested, we ask that you not send us, and you not disclose, any sensitive personal information (e.g., social security numbers, information related to racial or ethnic origin, political opinions, religion or other beliefs, health, biometrics or genetic characteristics, criminal background or trade union membership) on or through the Website or otherwise to us. Any requested information that includes sensitive information about health, political opinions, ethnicity, race, religion, sex life or sexual orientation can be left unanswered.
- Data Retention
We retain personal information for as long as needed or permitted in light of the purpose(s) for which it was obtained and consistent with applicable law. The criteria used to determine our retention periods include:
- The length of time we have an ongoing relationship with you and provide the Website to you (for example, for as long as you have an account with us or continue to use the Website);
- Whether there is a legal obligation to which we are subject (for example, certain laws require us to keep records of your transactions for a certain period of time before we can delete them); or
- Whether retention is advisable in light of our legal position (for example, in light of applicable statutes of limitations, litigation or regulatory investigations).
- International Transfers
The Institute is headquartered in the United States. The information you provide to us or that we obtain as a result of your use of the Website is collected in your country and subsequently transferred to the United States or to another country in which we have facilities or our affiliates operate or in which we engage service providers.
Some countries that are not members of the European Economic Area (EEA) are recognized by the European Commission as providing an adequate level of data protection according to EEA standards. For transfers from the EEA to countries not considered adequate by the European Commission, we have put in place adequate measures, including by ensuring that the recipient is bound by EU Standard Contractual Clauses, to protect your personal data.
In certain circumstances, courts, law enforcement agencies, regulatory agencies or security authorities in those other countries may be entitled to access your personal information.
- Contacting The Harvard-Yenching Institute
2 Divinity Avenue
Cambridge, MA 02138
For matters related to the Harvard Journal of Asiatic Studies, users may contact the Managing Editor of that publication, using the contact information below:
Melissa J. Brown, firstname.lastname@example.org
The Harvard-Yenching Institute home page and the Harvard Journal of Asiatic Studies home page contain links to other independently run Web sites within the Harvard network and to some sites outside the “harvard-yenching.org” and the “hjas.org” domains. The Harvard-Yenching Institute is not responsible for the privacy practices or the content of such Web sites.