Chiu Tuen Yi (Jenny)
Field of Study
Years of Stay at HYI
Aug 2014 to Dec 2015
University Affiliation (Current)
Chinese University of Hong Kong
CHIU Tuen Yi, Jenny is currently Assistant Professor at the Department of Sociology and Social Policy, Lingnan University, Hong Kong. She specializes in migration and transnationalism, gender, marriage and family, intergenerational relations, ageing, and violence in intimate relationships. Prior to joining Lingnan, she was Research Assistant Professor at the University of Hong Kong and Postdoctoral Fellow at the Asia Research Institute (ARI) National University of Singapore (NUS). She obtained her Ph.D. in Sociology from the Chinese University of Hong Kong.
Current Research Projects: 1) Cross-border marriage migration between mainland China and Hong Kong and 2) Transnational ageing and Chinese grandparenting migrants.
- Chiu, T.Y. & Ho, E.L.E. (2020). Transnational care circulations, changing intergenerational relations and the ageing aspirations of Chinese grandparenting migrants in Singapore, Asia Pacific Viewpoint. https://doi.org/10.1111/apv.12292
– 2019 Impact Factor: 1.211; 18/77 in Area Studies
- Ho, E.L.E. & Chiu, T.Y. (2020). Transnational ageing and “care technologies”: Chinese grandparenting migrants in Singapore and Sydney, Population Space and Place, 26(7), e2365. https://doi.org/10.1002/psp.2365
– 2019 Impact Factor: 2.591; 6/29 in Demography.
- Ho, E.L.E., Zhou, G., Liew, L.A., Chiu, T.Y., Huang, S., & Yeoh, B.S.A. (2020). Webs of care: Qualitative GIS research on ageing, mobility and care relations in Singapore. Annals of the American Association of Geographers. doi:10.1080/24694452.2020.1807900
– 2019 Impact Factor: 3.302; 15/84 in Geography.
- Chiu, T.Y. & Choi, S.Y.P. (2020). The Decoupling of The Legal Migration and Spatial Migration of Female Marriage Migrants. Journal of Ethnic and Migration Studies. doi: 10.1080/1369183X.2019.1585018.
– 2019 Impact Factor: 3.116; 1/18 in Ethnic Studies; 2/29 in Demography.
- Chiu, T.Y. (2020). Everyday Mixed Status: Spillover Effects of State Power in Cross-Border Families. Gender, Place and Culture. doi: 10.1080/0966369X.2019.1615411
– 2019 Impact Factor: 1.554; 14/45 in Women’s Studies.
- Cheung, A.K.L. & Chiu, T.Y. (2019). Husband-to-wife Sexual Coercion in Cross-border Marriage: A Power Perspective. Current Sociology. https://doi.org/10.1177/0011392118824358.
– 2019 Impact Factor: 1.647; 63/150 in Sociology.
- Chiu, T.Y. & Choi, S.Y.P. (2018). Frequent Border-crossing Children and Cultural Membership. Population, Space and Place. https://doi.org/10.1002/psp.2153.
– 2019 Impact Factor: 2.591; 4/29 in Demography.
- Chiu, T.Y. (2017). Migration as a Multifaceted System: Intersectionality of Intimate Partner Violence in Cross-border Marriages. Violence Against Women, 23(11), 1293-1313. https://doi.org/10.1177/1077801216659940.
– 2019 Impact Factor: 1.797; 10/45 in Women’s Studies.
Selected book chapters
- Luo, M. & Chiu, T.Y. (2019). “Intimate Partner Violence against Female Homosexuals in China: Culture, Gender, Family and the State,” in K. Zaleski, A. Enrile, E. Weiss & X. Wang (Eds.) Women’s Journey to Empowerment in the 21st Century. NY: Oxford University Press.
- Chiu, T.Y. & Choi, S.Y.P. (2015). “Spousal violence and in-law conflict in Asia: The case of China, Taiwan and Hong Kong” in S. Quah (Ed.), Routledge Handbook of Families in Asia (pp. 318-331). UK: Routledge.