Xufeng Zhu’s major research interests in China studies are the policy process, think tanks, policy analyses, and social stratification in transitional China.
- Zhu, Xufeng, The Politics of Expertise in China. London and New York: Routledge, 2019.
- Zhu, Xufeng, Reform & Opening-up and Think Tanks in Contemporary China. 《改革开放与当代中国智库》，Beijing: China Renmin University Press, 2018.
- Zhu, Xufeng, The Rise of Think Tanks in China. London and New York: Routledge, 2013.
- Zhu, Xufeng, Expert Participation in Policy Changes. 《政策变迁中的专家参与》, Beijing: China Renmin University Press, 2012. (Translated and published in Korea in 2014.)
- Zhu, Xufeng, China’s Think Tanks: Their Influence in the Policy Process. 《中国思想库：政策过程中的影响力研究》，Beijing: Tsinghua University Press, 2009.
Selected English papers:
- Xiao, Shiyang, Xufeng Zhu*, Bureaucratic Control and Strategic Compliance: How Do Subnational Governments Implement Central Guidelines in China? Journal of Public Administration Research and Theory, muab030, https://doi.org/10.1093/jopart/muab030.
- Zhu, Xufeng* & Hui Zhao, Experimentalist Governance with Interactive Central–Local Relations: Making New Pension Policies in China, Policy Studies Journal, vol. 49, no. 1, 13-36, 2021.
- Zhang, Youlang, & Xufeng Zhu*. The Moderating Role of Top-Down Supports in Horizontal Innovation Diffusion. Public Administration Review 80, no. 2, 209–221, 2020.
- Zhang, Youlang & Xufeng Zhu*, Career Cohorts and Inter-Jurisdictional Innovation Diffusion: An Empirical Exploration in China, International Public Management Journal, vol. 23, no. 3, 421-441, 2020.
- Zhu, Xufeng*, & Guihua Bai, Policy Synthesis through Regional Experimentations: Comparative Study of the New Cooperative Medical Scheme in Three Chinese Provinces, Journal of Comparative Policy Analysis, vol. 22, no. 4, 320–343, 2020.
- Zhu, Xufeng, Think Tanks in Politically-embedded Knowledge Regimes: Does “Revolving Door” Matter in China? International Review of Administrative Sciences, vol. 86, no. 2, 295–315, 2020.
- Zhu, Xufeng*, & Youlang Zhang, Comparison of Policy Experiments: Practices in Asia, Journal of Comparative Policy Analysis, vol. 22, no. 4, 275–280, 2020.
- Zhu, Xufeng* & Tianguang Meng, Geographical Leadership Mobility and Policy Isomorphism: Narrowing the Regional Inequality of Social Spending in China, Policy Studies Journal, vol. 48, no. 3, 806–832, 2020.
- Zhang, Youlang & Xufeng Zhu*, Multiple mechanisms of policy diffusion in China, Public Management Review, vol. 21, no. 4, 495–514, 2019.
- Zhu, Xufeng* & Youlang Zhang, Diffusion of Marketization Innovation with Administrative Centralization in a Multilevel System: Evidence from China, Journal of Public Administration Research and Theory, 29, no. 1, 133–150, 2019.
- Zhu, Xufeng. Executive Entrepreneurship, Career Mobility and the Transfer of Policy Paradigms, Journal of Comparative Policy Analysis, vol. 20, no. 4, 354–369, 2018.
- Zhu, Xufeng* & Hui Zhao, Recognition of Innovation and Diffusion of Welfare Policy: Alleviating Urban Poverty in Chinese Cities during Fiscal Recentralization, Governance, 31(4):721–739, 2018.
- Koellner, Patrick, Xufeng Zhu, & Pascal Abb, Understanding the Development of Think-Tank Sectors in East Asia: An Introduction to the Special Section, Pacific Affairs, vol. 91, no. 1, 5–26, 2018.
- Xue, Lan, Xufeng Zhu*, & Wanqu Han, Embracing Scientific Decision Making: The Rise of Think Tank Policies in China, Pacific Affairs, vol. 91, no. 1, 49–71, 2018.
- Zhao, Hui, Xufeng Zhu* and Ye Qi, “Fostering Local Entrepreneurship through Regional Environmental Pilot Schemes: The Low-Carbon Development Path of China”, China: An International Journal,, Vol. 14, no. 3, 107–130, 2016.
- Zhu, Xufeng* & Youlang Zhang. Political Mobility and Dynamic Diffusion of Innovation: The Spread of Municipal Pro-Business Administrative Reform in China, Journal of Public Administration Research and Theory, vol. 26, no. 3, 535–551, 2016.
- Zhu, Xufeng. In the Name of ‘Citizens’: Civic Activism and Policy Entrepreneurship of Chinese Public Intellectuals in the Hu-Wen Era. Journal of Contemporary China, vol. 25, no. 101, 745–759, 2016.
- Zhu, Xufeng* & Peipei Zhang, Intrinsic Motivation and Expert Behavior: Roles of Individual experts in Wenling Participatory Budgeting Reform in China, Administration & Society, vol. 48, no. 7, 851–882, 2016. (ASPA Best Comparative Policy Paper Award for 2012)
- Chien, Crison, Xufeng Zhu*, & Tingjia Chen, Self-Learning through Teaching: Singapore’s Land Development Policy Transfer Experience in China, Environment and Planning C: Government and Policy, 33, no.6, 1639 – 1656, 2015.
- Zhu, Xufeng, “Mandate vs. Championship: Vertical Government Intervention and Diffusion of Innovation in Public Services in Authoritarian China”, Public Management Review, vol. 16, no. 1, 117–139, 2014.
- Zhu, Xufeng, “Policy Change and Expert Involvement in China”, Public Administration, vol. 91, no. 2, 281–302, 2013.
- Zhu, Xufeng* and Chao Zhang, “Reducing Information Asymmetry in the Power Industry: Mandatory and Voluntary Information Disclosure Regulations of Sulfur Dioxide Emission”, Energy Policy (SSCI/SCI), vol. 45, no. 6, 704–713, 2012.
- Zhu, Xufeng, “Rebuilding Government Credibility in Chinese Environmental Resident Activism”, Environmental Science and Technology (SCI), vol. 46, no. 3, 1303–1304, 2012.
- Zhu, Xufeng, “Government Advisors or Public Advocates? Roles of Think Tanks in China from the Perspective of Regional Variations”, The China Quarterly, vol. 207, 668 – 686, 2011.
- Zhu, Xufeng, Bureau Chiefs and Policy Experts in the Chinese Policy Decision-making Process: Making Guanxi More Influential, The China Review, vol. 9, no. 2 (Fall), 129–155, 2009.
- Zhu, Xufeng, The Influence of Think Tanks in the Chinese Policy Process: Different Ways and Mechanisms, Asian Survey, vol. 49, no. 2, 333–357, 2009.
- Zhu, Xufeng, Strategy of Chinese policy entrepreneurs in the third sector: challenges of ‘Technical Infeasibility’, Policy Sciences, 41, no. 4. 315–334, 2008.
- Zhu, Xufeng* and Xue Lan*, Think Tanks in Transitional China, Public Administration and Development, vol. 27: 452–464, 2007.