Field of Study
Years of Stay at HYI
Aug 2008 to Jun 2009
University Affiliation (Current)
Xufeng Zhu’s major research interests in China studies are the policy process, think tanks, policy analyses, and social stratification in transitional China.
- Zhu, Xufeng, The Politics of Expertise in China. London and New York: Routledge, 2019.
- Zhu, Xufeng, Reform & Opening-up and Think Tanks in Contemporary China. 《改革开放与当代中国智库》，Beijing: China Renmin University Press, 2018.
- Zhu, Xufeng, The Rise of Think Tanks in China. London and New York: Routledge, 2013.
- Zhu, Xufeng, Expert Participation in Policy Changes. 《政策变迁中的专家参与》, Beijing: China Renmin University Press, 2012. (Translated and published in Korea in 2014.)
- Zhu, Xufeng, China’s Think Tanks: Their Influence in the Policy Process. 《中国思想库：政策过程中的影响力研究》，Beijing: Tsinghua University Press, 2009.
Selected English papers:
- Xiao, Shiyang, Xufeng Zhu*, Bureaucratic Control and Strategic Compliance: How Do Subnational Governments Implement Central Guidelines in China? Journal of Public Administration Research and Theory, muab030, https://doi.org/10.1093/jopart/muab030.
- Zhu, Xufeng* & Hui Zhao, Experimentalist Governance with Interactive Central–Local Relations: Making New Pension Policies in China, Policy Studies Journal, vol. 49, no. 1, 13-36, 2021.
- Zhang, Youlang, & Xufeng Zhu*. The Moderating Role of Top-Down Supports in Horizontal Innovation Diffusion. Public Administration Review 80, no. 2, 209–221, 2020.
- Zhang, Youlang & Xufeng Zhu*, Career Cohorts and Inter-Jurisdictional Innovation Diffusion: An Empirical Exploration in China, International Public Management Journal, vol. 23, no. 3, 421-441, 2020.
- Zhu, Xufeng*, & Guihua Bai, Policy Synthesis through Regional Experimentations: Comparative Study of the New Cooperative Medical Scheme in Three Chinese Provinces, Journal of Comparative Policy Analysis, vol. 22, no. 4, 320–343, 2020.
- Zhu, Xufeng, Think Tanks in Politically-embedded Knowledge Regimes: Does “Revolving Door” Matter in China? International Review of Administrative Sciences, vol. 86, no. 2, 295–315, 2020.
- Zhu, Xufeng*, & Youlang Zhang, Comparison of Policy Experiments: Practices in Asia, Journal of Comparative Policy Analysis, vol. 22, no. 4, 275–280, 2020.
- Zhu, Xufeng* & Tianguang Meng, Geographical Leadership Mobility and Policy Isomorphism: Narrowing the Regional Inequality of Social Spending in China, Policy Studies Journal, vol. 48, no. 3, 806–832, 2020.
- Zhang, Youlang & Xufeng Zhu*, Multiple mechanisms of policy diffusion in China, Public Management Review, vol. 21, no. 4, 495–514, 2019.
- Zhu, Xufeng* & Youlang Zhang, Diffusion of Marketization Innovation with Administrative Centralization in a Multilevel System: Evidence from China, Journal of Public Administration Research and Theory, 29, no. 1, 133–150, 2019.
- Zhu, Xufeng. Executive Entrepreneurship, Career Mobility and the Transfer of Policy Paradigms, Journal of Comparative Policy Analysis, vol. 20, no. 4, 354–369, 2018.
- Zhu, Xufeng* & Hui Zhao, Recognition of Innovation and Diffusion of Welfare Policy: Alleviating Urban Poverty in Chinese Cities during Fiscal Recentralization, Governance, 31(4):721–739, 2018.
- Koellner, Patrick, Xufeng Zhu, & Pascal Abb, Understanding the Development of Think-Tank Sectors in East Asia: An Introduction to the Special Section, Pacific Affairs, vol. 91, no. 1, 5–26, 2018.
- Xue, Lan, Xufeng Zhu*, & Wanqu Han, Embracing Scientific Decision Making: The Rise of Think Tank Policies in China, Pacific Affairs, vol. 91, no. 1, 49–71, 2018.
- Zhao, Hui, Xufeng Zhu* and Ye Qi, “Fostering Local Entrepreneurship through Regional Environmental Pilot Schemes: The Low-Carbon Development Path of China”, China: An International Journal,, Vol. 14, no. 3, 107–130, 2016.
- Zhu, Xufeng* & Youlang Zhang. Political Mobility and Dynamic Diffusion of Innovation: The Spread of Municipal Pro-Business Administrative Reform in China, Journal of Public Administration Research and Theory, vol. 26, no. 3, 535–551, 2016.
- Zhu, Xufeng. In the Name of ‘Citizens’: Civic Activism and Policy Entrepreneurship of Chinese Public Intellectuals in the Hu-Wen Era. Journal of Contemporary China, vol. 25, no. 101, 745–759, 2016.
- Zhu, Xufeng* & Peipei Zhang, Intrinsic Motivation and Expert Behavior: Roles of Individual experts in Wenling Participatory Budgeting Reform in China, Administration & Society, vol. 48, no. 7, 851–882, 2016. (ASPA Best Comparative Policy Paper Award for 2012)
- Chien, Crison, Xufeng Zhu*, & Tingjia Chen, Self-Learning through Teaching: Singapore’s Land Development Policy Transfer Experience in China, Environment and Planning C: Government and Policy, 33, no.6, 1639 – 1656, 2015.
- Zhu, Xufeng, “Mandate vs. Championship: Vertical Government Intervention and Diffusion of Innovation in Public Services in Authoritarian China”, Public Management Review, vol. 16, no. 1, 117–139, 2014.
- Zhu, Xufeng, “Policy Change and Expert Involvement in China”, Public Administration, vol. 91, no. 2, 281–302, 2013.
- Zhu, Xufeng* and Chao Zhang, “Reducing Information Asymmetry in the Power Industry: Mandatory and Voluntary Information Disclosure Regulations of Sulfur Dioxide Emission”, Energy Policy (SSCI/SCI), vol. 45, no. 6, 704–713, 2012.
- Zhu, Xufeng, “Rebuilding Government Credibility in Chinese Environmental Resident Activism”, Environmental Science and Technology (SCI), vol. 46, no. 3, 1303–1304, 2012.
- Zhu, Xufeng, “Government Advisors or Public Advocates? Roles of Think Tanks in China from the Perspective of Regional Variations”, The China Quarterly, vol. 207, 668 – 686, 2011.
- Zhu, Xufeng, Bureau Chiefs and Policy Experts in the Chinese Policy Decision-making Process: Making Guanxi More Influential, The China Review, vol. 9, no. 2 (Fall), 129–155, 2009.
- Zhu, Xufeng, The Influence of Think Tanks in the Chinese Policy Process: Different Ways and Mechanisms, Asian Survey, vol. 49, no. 2, 333–357, 2009.
- Zhu, Xufeng, Strategy of Chinese policy entrepreneurs in the third sector: challenges of ‘Technical Infeasibility’, Policy Sciences, 41, no. 4. 315–334, 2008.
- Zhu, Xufeng* and Xue Lan*, Think Tanks in Transitional China, Public Administration and Development, vol. 27: 452–464, 2007.