The Associate Program is limited to past Harvard-Yenching Institute grantees. A grantee is required to spend three years back at their home institute before they can apply for the program. The program is designed to provide an opportunity for past affiliates of the Harvard-Yenching Institute to return to Harvard for 3 months to a year, with their own funding, to conduct new or additional research in their respective fields. Although a letter of support from a Harvard faculty member is required, HYI Associates are expected to conduct independent research in a self-sufficient manner on their proposed project.
Terms and Conditions
The minimum research term of a HYI Associate is three months. The Harvard-Yenching Institute will provide visa sponsorship according to the guidelines set out by the Harvard International Office (more information on these guidelines). Scholars will be provided with University and library access during their stay. This program does not include a stipend, airfare reimbursement or medical insurance coverage.
There are two deadlines for submission of applications to the program each year: April 15 and October 15.
Applicants to this program must provide strong research proposals with a clear purpose, indicating the availability of Harvard’s resources (including professors and research materials) that may support their research projects.
The following documents (in English) are required for application to this program:
- Application form
- A detailed research proposal with a tentative schedule (including start and end dates)
- A CV (curriculum vitae), in English, including employment, publications and honors
- A copy of the applicant’s scholarship award letter and/or his/her personal financial statement, showing a sufficient budget for his/her stay in the US
- A recommendation letter from a Harvard faculty member
- An approval letter of leave from the applicant’s home department/school
The required documents should be sent by e-mail to the Harvard-Yenching Institute. Applications that do not include all required documents will remain incomplete, and no consideration can be granted. Applicants will be notified of the selection committee’s decision no later than six weeks after the application deadline.